Our Science Intent
At St James Church School, we have a science curriculum which aims to achieve the following things:
- Recognise the importance of science in every aspects of daily life and support children to see the patterns and links of life around them.
- Recognise the impact of significant scientific discoveries and scientists who have changed the world.
- Increase children’s knowledge and skills and understanding of the world around them through a process of scientific enquiry and discussion.
- Capture children’s curiosity and encourage respect for all living organisms and the physical environment around them.
- Ensure that children have access to a high-quality, fun, engaging and progressive science curriculum that supports children to know more, remember more and understand more.
- Children are supported to explicitly make connections between what they have previously learned and what they are currently learning.
We use the Plymouth Science scheme which embraces a practical approach to develop scientific skills as well as scientific capital.
Progression documents for Science from Plymouth Science:
Click the link to play the peppered moth adaptation game: