Home Page

SEND information

St James Church School SEND information report


This information is to inform you of the types support available to your child at St James Church School. It will help you to understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.


How do you know if a child needs extra help?

All children at St James Church School are monitored closely by their Class Teachers.  This is done through on-going monitoring and assessment and regular Pupil Progress Meetings to discuss individual needs and progress.  We have developed a graduated response to identifying children with needs.  Initially this is completed by the class teacher to ensure needs are being met within the class.  If the Class Teacher feels the child still isn’t making the required progress, they will be discussed with the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo).  Assessments may be carried out and if necessary refer to external agencies with the consent of the Parents.  If parents/carers have any concerns they should see the Class Teacher in the first instance.  Teachers are available for brief discussions at the beginning or end of the day.  An appointment can be made if a more detailed discussion is needed.


How will the school support my child?

The Class Teacher is responsible for your child’s education.  They will oversee, plan and work with each child with additional needs in the class to ensure that progress in every area is made.  Our Inclusion Lead Teacher oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional needs across the school.  There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) or another teacher working with your child either individually or as part of a group.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access according to their specific needs.  Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated.  Groupings of children can change regularly according to needs and understanding.


How will I know how my child is doing?

There are parents’ evenings in the Autumn and Spring terms and reports are written in the Summer term.  All parents/carers will also be invited to ‘Pupil Review Meetings’ in which progress and targets are discussed with the child, parent/carer and teacher. In addition to this, children with complex needs or in receipt of an Education, Health and Care Plan will have an Annual Review meeting to inform and plan for next steps.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

In addition to support received for academic subjects, there is a range of pastoral support available. We have a Nurture group in which children who are finding aspects of school difficult can express their feelings and manage their emotions.  There is always the opportunity for any child to talk with a trained adult over any concerns and anxieties.  We also have a Parent and Family Support Advisor (PFSA) who can work with children and families.  We also use the Malachi Project to support our families. Specific support plans will be put into place for children experiencing difficulties with behaviour and those needing medical support or intimate care.


What are the specialist services that the School can access?

When a child has a specific need, we have an onsite Speech Therapist who can undertake therapy programmes to support your child with Language and Communication difficulties. We also regularly access an Educational Psychologist and the Support Services and learning and behavioural advisors.  We also access advice for physical impairments and medical conditions, including hearing and vision support.  We can access Speech and Language Therapists, physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists via the NHS when needed.  We also have support from the EMAS team for children with English as an Additional Language.


How accessible is the School environment?

The school site is wheelchair accessible.  There are wheelchair toilet facilities.  All children have the right to access class trips wherever it is safe for them to do so.  For those children with additional needs, alternative provision can be made, for example, additional adult support, alternative travel arrangements, or alternative arrangements for the administration of medicines.


How will the School support my child’s transitions to a new setting?

Prior to starting in Reception, children identified as having Special Educational Needs will have a School Entry Planning meeting.  This will be attended by you, pre-school staff, school staff and any external professionals involved in supporting your child.  It plans out how all concerned can make the transition to school as smooth as possible.  For children with medical needs, this will include identifying staff training needs to ensure your child’s needs are fully met.  All families will be invited to a welcome meeting to gather information.  The Reception teacher and at times the SENCo will also visit pre-schools to meet the children in a familiar setting.  All children will be invited to attend Stay and Play to ensure they are familiar with the staff and the setting in advance. School Entry Meetings will also be arranged for children with SEN who are transitioning to St James mid-year.

On moving to Secondary School, children in Year 6 with additional needs are discussed with the Inclusion Lead. Additional visits can be organised for children with additional needs.  If your child has complex needs and Annual Review meeting or a transition meeting will happen in the summer term and a representative from the secondary school will be invited to attend.


What training is provided for support staff who work with children with SEN?

All TAs or teachers who work with individuals or groups of children on interventions will have received training to deliver the sessions.  These sessions are overseen by the Class Teacher and Inclusion Lead Teacher to monitor the progress of the children. Where additional specific training is required to address a child’s individual needs, the School brings in external trainers to deliver this. On-going training and updates are delivered by the School Inclusion Lead through regular meetings. 


How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

We ensure that all children who have Special Educational Needs are met to the best of the School’s ability with the funds available.  We have a team of TAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes to meet groups and individual needs.  The budget is allocated on a needs basis.  The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving a TA.


Who do I see if I am worried?

  • Speak to you child’s teacher.
  • If you are still concerned you can make an appointment to meet the Inclusion Lead Teacher (Fiona O’Connor)
  • If you feel matters are still not resolved, you can make an appointment with the Headteacher to discuss your concerns.


Who might work with my child?

A range of outside professionals might be called in to support the School in providing the best opportunities for every child.  These include:

  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning Support Advisory Teachers
  • Social, Emotional and Behavioural Advisory Teachers
  • Physical Impairment and Medical Support
  • Hearing Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Visual Impairment Advisory Teachers
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Autism and Communication Advisors


Further Support

You can also access support from our Parent and Family Support Advisor, Debbie Mason on 07464 987747.  She can support and advise you in a wide range of situations and is in school regularly.


For more information

Contact the School Office on: 01823 272 553